On Friday 6 November
The theme of the 18th SGM Plenary Session is “Shaping Earth: From Planet Accretion To Microbes”.
Due to the current situation, it is not clear whether the plenary session can be held this year at all. We will keep you informed on the SGM 2020 Website.
On Saturday 7 November,
27 scientific symposia (see below) will cover cover the diverse spectrum of current research in geosciences, encompassing the lithosphere, the atmosphere and the anthroposphere.
It is also not yet clear whether the symposia can be held in physical form at the ETH Zurich or will have to be held online. The Symposia conveners have however agreed to maintain their symposia whether in physical or virtual form. Experiences gathered so far, for instance at the EGU 2020, have shown that holding an online conference also has its benefits, especially in term of feedbacks that the presenters receive for their oral or poster presentations. And contrary to the EGU 2020 where all symposia were only held via chatrooms, we envision to hold the symposia with video support for instance using Zoom. However what we will NOT do is to have symposia both in physical and virtual form.
Deadline for abstract submission is Friday, 21 August 2020.
Depending on the number and subject of abstracts submitted, proposed sessions may be canceled, merged or new ones created. Abstracts will be initially assigned to the session indicated by the authors at the time of abstract submission.
All abstracts must be submitted electronically until the deadline following the instructions on the SGM2020 website
Deadline for registration is Friday, 16 October 2020.
Registration and Payments must be made electronically following the instructions on the SGM2020 website.
because of the current situation, online registrations will open on September 1st
SYMPOSIA at SGM 2020:
We kindly invite you to submit abstracts for oral presentations or posters addressing the following subjects:
1. Structural Geology, Tectonics and Geodynamics
2. Mineralogy, Petrology, Geochemistry
3. Stable and radiogenic isotope geochemistry: development and applications
4. Environmental Biogeochemistry of Trace Elements
6. Stratigraphy and Sedimentology: processes and deposits through time
7. Seismic Hazard and Risk in Switzerland: From Science to Mitigation
8. Deep geothermal energy, CO2-storage and energy-related exploration of the subsurface
9. Quaternary environments: landscapes, climate, ecosystems and human activity during the past 2.6 million years
10. Geomorphology or Shaping Earth Surface
11. Soil: Processes, Functions and Management
12. Cryospheric Sciences
13. Hydrology and Hydrogeology
14. Limnology in Switzerland and the new LéXPLORE infrastructure
15. Scientific Ocean Drilling: Driving Questions from a Swiss Prospective
16. Biosphere-Atmosphere Interactions and Greenhouse Gases
17. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
19. Tackling the Climate Crisis: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Climate Change Education and Communication
20. Remote Sensing of the Spheres
21. Geoscience and Geoinformation – From data acquisition to modelling and visualisation
22. Human Geographies: Bodies, Cultures, Societies
23. Human Geographies: Cities, Regions, Economies
24. Human Geographies: Materials, Natures, Politics
25. Forms, flux and processes of carbon exchange within and between Earth’s surface and the deep Earth through time
26. How to build a habitable planet? Insights from the Earth’s Interior
27. Mountains as contexts for global change: interdisciplinary experiences, challenges and new perspectives across the natural and social sciences